Searching...
Monday, March 24, 2014

Do we have the right to be called- humans?

Monday morning is never a day, which, office-going population (all across the world) ever looks up-to. No embarrassment felt- even I am one of those who actually hate Monday(s) and wish that it never came after Sunday(s).

Today is a different story though. I was fresh from a fantastic weekend, having partied like crazy with all my close buddies and being in the zone of solace as they say. A relaxed Sunday spent at home chillng and smoking chillam made it just the perfect weekend (for that matter even life) that one could ask for- but then - that was it! 

Monday changed it all. And no I am not here to talk about the irony of how I think that some senior of mine doesn't deserve to be at the profile he/she is, nor do I intend to bask in the glory of all the gossip-bitches that keep making rounds of the office floor sniffing around for a trace of gossip like a trained police dog that can't live without it.

This Monday is about losing a friend (unclaimed and unspoken bond actually).

I have been visiting this publication house in Okhla quite regularly recently and no surprises given (to myself), I haven't made a single soul my friend in this building. Out of it though is a (was a), different scenario. As usual, there is a tiny dhaba out of this office building, as is the case with most of the offices in Delhi- especially in locations like Okhla, Gurgaon and Noida and that is where I met Ded Foot- one of the two stray dogs that lived near that dhaba.

Stray dogs, road accidents India, number of dogs that die on streets, sandeep verma, best blogs india, best bloggers india, stray dogs, peta,


I can't recall of a single day, wherein, I haven't fed him with something or the other. While he liked eating biscuits, he would go crazy the moment he would see that Curd is coming his way. He would jump, he would romp me, he would hold my hand and have very little patience to gulp it all down at a go. Every time I would go out to smoke or eat, he would see me from a distance, wag his tail, come near my legs and in a whisker, put his head on my ankle and doze-off (stupid sleepy rascal he was).

Yes, - HE WAS!

On Friday evening, as I was smoking, he- as usual, came to me (though walking a little slow than his usual pace), kept his head on my leg and sat down. But there was something unusual about the thing. Not for a second did he stop crying... He cried and I heard... He cried and I heard .....He cried and I heard!

I made him get up and tried to make him walk and could realize in a quick moment that he was finding it hard to put his back legs on the floor. Constantly crying...he moved away a little and slept underneath a table in the dhaba. That was the last I saw him! For he is dead now. 

The dhaba wala bhaiya told me today that some car had ran over his back body, due to which he lost nerves in both his legs, was in unbearable pain so started torturing itself and started breaking his teeth against wood and stone. Such was the pain that he became overly aggressive and started banging his body all over. But body as it is, could take no more, gave up within a day and the poor lad died. 

What leaves me in agony is, how come a human- educated or uneducated, drive a car and not see a freaking animal on the road? Agreed, these stray dogs run after all the cars and the bikes late in the night, but does that mean that we can just speed up, tease them, slam them and not even care to take to the hospital if need be? Are we really humans once we fail to do so? I for every moment of my life, would like to believe that!

My day has just started, but I already want it to end... I want it to end so that I can go to my head and stop his memories hunting down my soul. For 6 months I fed him, for 6 months I played with him, for 6 months I saw only love in his eyes and for 6 months I saw a sense of 'I was waiting for you', every time I walked near that dhaba in his eyes. There will be none of it from today. There will never be a ever again.

Frankly, I have very little idea about how many animals die on streets everyday in India or anywhere else in this universe. Nor do I have these NGO's or social workers in touch with me, who would help me know how to pen down the demise of a stray dog. I have no idea what I have written in this post, and of course I do not have the courage to read this piece on my own- think about Ded Foot, and try to make this article all decorated. For this is just an expression of my feelings from inside- which I am sure I have not been able to express completely (as I have no words within, to define what is storming inside).

What I do have is a very simple question- "Do we as humans, have the right to romp over all other species?"
I know my answer, but I would want to know your's too!

PS: I did not have an image of Ded Foot, so have used a random image from Google.

10th March 2016: A friend (my colleague of that time) sends me a picture of DedFoot after reading this post on Facebook, therefore, updating this post :-) 


1 comments:

  1. Hey, this post moved me. I know the pain of losing someone of another species. But it happening this way is so utterly pointless and painful in the extreme.
    I'm sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete

 
Back to top!